Draft 2023-2031 Bakersfield Housing Element
The draft Housing Element has been revised based on discussion with the California Department of Housing and Community Development. Revisions are noted in track changes and are highlighted. The public is invited to comment on the revised draft Housing Element until September 12, 2023. To submit a comment, fill in the form on the Get Involved page. The City thanks you for your input. To sign up for project updates, click here.
About the Housing Element
The Housing Element is one of the State-mandated components of the City’s General Plan. It offers a comprehensive strategy for the City to accommodate sufficient housing at all income levels. The Housing Element has two main purposes:
- To provide an assessment of current and future housing needs for the next eight years.
- To establish housing goals, policies, and programs that address housing needs, reduce barriers to housing development, and ensure compliance with State legislation.
The updated Housing Element must be certified by the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) by a pre-determined deadline, December 31, 2023.
Click to view the Housing Element flyer (English)
Click to view the Housing Element flyer (Spanish)
What the Housing Element Includes
The Housing Element includes a strategy for the City to meet its share of the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA). HCD determines the total number of new housing units that each region must accommodate during the eight-year planning period. Through land use and zoning regulations, Bakersfield must plan for its share of the RHNA, including housing that is affordable to households at all income levels.
The Housing Element update will assess how current demands are being met and will plan for projected housing needs over the next eight years. The Housing Element also addresses housing for special needs populations, such as persons with disabilities, very low-income residents, and persons experiencing homelessness. The City’s housing strategy must also reduce any identified barriers to equality and opportunity.
The Housing Element update must include the following:
- Community Needs Assessment: A complete analysis of the specific housing needs and an inventory of the resources and constraints relevant to addressing housing needs
- Sites Inventory: An inventory of land suitable for residential development that could accommodate the City’s RHNA allocation
- Constraints Analysis: an evaluation of governmental and nongovernmental barriers to housing production in Bakersfield
- Goals, Policies, and Programs: Identification of specific policies and actions to implement the Housing Element
- Other analyses, policies, and goals required to meet community housing needs, and/or comply with applicable State law
Watch this video to learn more about the Housing Element and related Zoning Update:
Land Use Alternatives Workshop
📅 Tuesday, December 19 2023
Location: Bakersfield Museum of Art, 1930 R Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301
6:30pm - 8:00pm
The City of Bakersfield is hosting a Land Use Alternatives workshop as part of the General Plan Update, and you’re invited! This workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to discuss community needs and future growth. We look forward to seeing you there!
Past Event Materials
Intro to the General Plan Workshop #1 & #2 - March 22-23, 2022